Thursday, December 28, 2017

Meatless Meat?! Yes! SO much "Yes!"



Hey everyone,

I hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend!

I've been meaning to write another blog...so many topics I want to cover, but always subjects and ideas that I think would benefit others.

So what have I been busying myself with lately? Our toddler has opened our eyes to the mysterious and yet delightful world of "meatless meat". Say what? Yes. Meat without meat. How can this be, Samantha? Times have changed and I bring good news!

Once upon a time I tried a "veggie burger" when I was in 7th grade and it was disgusting. It tasted like a bizarre combination of cardboard and a hint of vegetables that had seen better days. The patty itself looked defeated, as if it were begging me to put it out of its misery and dispose of it...ashamed that it knew it was a fraud. And that was it. I never wandered back over to gaze at the rubbery concoctions in the freezer aisle...until recently.

Gross...We shared its embarrassment together in a somber moment
 I had raised Cameron on lots of fruits and vegetables, healthy grains like brown rice or quinoa...and occasionally would offer turkey, chicken, or beef but he never seemed to enjoy meat. 

I remember watching a documentary and the subject was discussing how if a human, who was not conditioned by our industrialized society, was stranded on an island and what their natural instincts would lead them to eat. If they had a choice between an apple and a dead carcass of an animal, that individual would naturally choose the fruit. Meat is supposed to be a last resort food based on our teeth, dietary needs, and behavior.

We tried to introduce different versions of meat to Cameron and he was not having it. I suppose that when someone isn't conditioned to eat meat, that the taste of blood, iron, and flesh in general might not be that appetizing. And for him, it isn't.

So this whole journey has lead us back to, thankfully, veggie-based "meats". And oh my goodness have these products changed...for the better!

Enjoy drooling over this sexy veggie burger...
If I had the funds, I would literally offer to pay every individual in the U.S. to try and sample these new veggie sausages. That's how surprisingly good they are! And guess what? You save money!!! The cost it takes to raise, care for, and slaughter livestock, let alone the natural resources used in this process, far outweigh the cost of growing and creating meatless protein. It's a two-fer! A two-for-one deal. And maybe more! You save money, you spare wonderful animals, and you protect your health from the negative effects and illness caused by red meat. And processed meats, like salami, hotdogs, and so on, are some of the worst offenders...even carcinogenic.

So why hasn't everyone switched over to a vegetarian option? I think there are many reasons, and some seem silly and false, like "Unamerican", "tree hugger", "nutritionally lacking", and the main reason...because we are creatures of habit. Unless someone comes knocking down your door to make you try these veggie sausages, you're not likely going to go buy these and try them on your own behalf.

But I urge you to! I'm not getting paid to promote this brand but this is the company we've been buying veggie burger meat, veggie sausages, and products from: https://lightlife.com/
They have not failed the vegetarian field!

Check out all their amazing recipes here: https://lightlife.com/recipe-search 




I figured I would spare you of horrifying images of how our animals are treated in industrialized farming, that sometimes they're alive while being boiled and skinned, baby chicks are smashed by a machine, and animals are beaten by farmhands. It is a barbaric world we subject them to. But if you're like me, your Facebook newsfeed is full of disturbing images and petitions to sign that cause you to lose sleep. You get your share of horror.

And you're probably already aware of how much fuel, carbon emissions, deforestation, and water it takes to raise the animals we eat. We could make a huge difference if people just ate meat on the weekends and ate veggie-based meats during the weekdays. But people are lazy, right? Or is it unaware? Well, I bring you awareness now :) Please give these a try! Where are they in the store? Several places actually! Some are in the freezer aisle, others are located next to the sandwich meats and sausages. So make a note on your grocery list, to try one of these products...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Light & Love to all of you!
~Samantha~





4 comments:

  1. Great post Sam! I have also been leaning towards going vegetarian as well and I have a great black bean burger recipe if you want to try it :) Follow the link! https://www.womenshealthmag.com/recipes/blackbean-oat-burgers
    I hope you are well! Congrats on your nuptials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I will definitely try it! It's taking conscious effort for me to not just buy a meat product while out to eat but with practice I'm getting there :) hope all is well with you too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi samantha i was just doing a little research online im not real computer savoy. but i was born in taylor michigan in a home on pelham drive and i was just trying to find out if the house in your new book in taylor happen to be on pelham drive? this house was so haunted i was tormented every night being forced to sleep in the basement with my brother as children? because of this ive been a believer every since. so in short i was wondering if your experience in taylor michigan was on pelham drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James does Pelham Drive have condominiums on it because if so it's possible. I honestly don't recall what the address was but it was close to downtown it seemed and in a condo townhouse area.

      Delete